A Brief Profile for Dr Simo Mthethwa
Background & personal Info:
- I am going to be 30 years old mid-2021.
- I was born and raised in a village known as eSabhuza, KwesakaMthethwa, eMpangeni, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
- I Went to eMaqwabe Primary School & Mningi High School.
Academic Background & Achievements:
I Studied & completed the following qualifications at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) in the specified time frames:
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Mathematics & Statistics, with some Computer Science features. (2009-2011).
- BSc Honours in Pure Mathematics (2012).
- Masters in Pure Mathematics by research (2013-2014).
- PhD in Mathematics (2015-2018).
- Lecturer & Coordinator in Access Programme at UKZN (2014-2019)
- Mathematics Engineering Ad Hoc Lecturer (2015-2016)
- Started Mthethwamatics (2016)
- Training Coordinator at MiET Africa (2017-2018)
- Canaan College Maths Consultant (2019)
- Mathematics Lecturer at UKZN (2019-To Date)
- First prize in research presentation at Postgraduate Research & Innovation Symposium (2014)
- MiET Hero Award (2017)
- Published three research articles from PhD work in high quality journals (2018-2021).
- Recognised as Top 100 Shinning Stars of SA (2020)
- Assupol Museum of Heroes Award (2020)
- My research is funded by NRF Thuthuka Grant (2021-2023) and supported by NGA (MaSS).
- Over and above presentations of my research in conferences & Mthethwamatics related public speaking I was invited to speak in the following events;
- The Youth Business Connect (EThekwini Municipality, Durban)
- UKhozi FM, Isidlo Sasekuseni Morning Show.
- Academic Awards (NSA, Wits)
- S Mthethwa, D Baboolal, P Pillay, Compactifications from generators and relations, Mathematica Slovaca, Volume 68, Issue4, Pages 929–938, eISSN 1337-2211, ISSN 0139-9918, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/ms-2017-0155. (2018)
- S Mthethwa, Characterising certain compactifications of frames with special attention to Freudenthal, Algebra Univers. 82,14 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00012-021-00708-7 (2021)
- S Mthethwa, Perfectness of 2-star compactifications of frames, to appear in Topology and Its Application (Accepted) (2021)